How to Select a Roofing & Restoration Contractor in the Fort Worth Area
Your roof is one of the most vital components of your Dallas / Fort Worth area home, and to give it the best care that it deserves, you need to choose the right roofing & restoration contractor for any work it needs. Fortunately, the best roofing contractors around are right here at Bearded Brothers Roofing & Restoration!
You may be asking yourself, "How do I know that YOU'RE the right contractors for me?" Well, that you can answer for yourself by knowing what qualities to look for in your roofing contractor.
You have work that needs to be done on your property. Maybe it's a small repair or maybe you have a fresh storm, dozens of contractors knocking on your door, and an insurance policy that doesn't fully cover your needs. To make matters worse, you just found out that Texas doesn't license contractors. That means you neighbor could put together a logo, put it on a polo, and come sell you a roof! Frightening to say the least...
You may not know the restoration and construction industry, but we do. With that in mind, we want to give you some tools to make sure that you are getting the right work done by the right people for the right price. With no further ado, here are a few questions you should ask every contractor you're interviewing to potentially work on your most valuable physical asset.
- Questions to protect you
- DO THEY OFFER AN APPLES-TO-APPLES PRICE MATCH GUARANTEE?
- DO THEY OFFER A HAPPY NEIGHBOR GUARANTEE?
- DO THEY OFFER A NO BLAME GAME GUARANTEE?
- Who insures your subs? There are two good answers and one great answer. 1) Good: "Our subs carry their own insurance." 2) Good: "We have a special policy that covers uninsured subs." 3) Best: The best answer is "both!" Most companies carry bogus General Liability policies that don't actually cover the work being done. If they don't, Find another contractor.
- What is the material warranty and what is your process for filing it? If they start talking about the shingle warranty, they don't know what they are talking about. RUN! Find another contractor. Without going into too much detain, shingle warranties don't really matter unless they are combined with a full roofing system warranty.
- Questions about quality control
- What is your quality control process like?
- Do you provide a quality control checklist that I can see with documentation that the system was installed properly before, during, and after the installation? If they don't have something like this in place, RUN! Find another contractor. The most important day in the life of your roof is the day it is installed. It might look good on the outside, but if they don't do have a checklist that shows the installation was properly performed, you might not know there's a problem until months later.
- Do they know what they are talking about?
- Most of the guys going door-to-door are silver-tongued salesmen with zero construction knowledge. The salesmen doesn't need to be able to do the installation, but if they don't have a basic understanding of construction knowledge, they really can't even tell you if they are representing a company that does know what they are doing.
- What is the difference between a rake and an eave? And does the drip edge go over or under the rake and the eave? The rake is the angled edge of the roof and the eave is the part that runs parallel to the ground. One of our team can show you pictures. And the drip edge is supposed to go over synthetic on rakes and under on eaves. If they don't know this, find another contractor.
- Where should you put Ice and Water shield? Valley's and penetrations. If they say valley's but miss penetrations, they fail. Find another contractor.
- Do they have good reviews?
- First, check do a simple Google search and see what their reviews are like. Do they have a decent amount of reviews? What are the negative ones? Read those. It's easy to make some people happy and get some people to write good reviews, but it's hard to keep everyone happy. Find out who wasn't happy and why. If you don't like what you see, find another contractor.
- Do they have professional reviews. Again, it's easy to make one homeowner happy. It's a lot more challenging to work with people repeatedly. Do they have references from other general contractors, supply houses, manufacturer's, realtors, investors, etc.? In other words, is there any evidence that they have staying power and will do a good enough job that people will use them repeatedly? If they don't, find another contractor.
- Go to their website and social media. Are they professional, up-to-date, and active in responding to customers? If they don't take care of/invest in their own things, odds are good they won't take care of/invest in yours
- Do they have examples of their own work? On what types of properties do they have experience? Ideally, you would want a contractor that is capable of doing big and little jobs, tile, metal, flat, and shingle roofs.
- Do they offer financing? If not, that means they are probably used to covering deductibles (a felony and something that requires cutting corners)
- How desperate are they for your business? If they will do anything to get your business, that means that they are probably having a hard time getting business and there might be a reason for that. Find a contractor that wants to do business with you, not one that needs to do business with you.
Whether you're in the market for a roof inspection, repair, replacement, or any other roof work, you can count on us to provide the quality work you're in the market for.